Information for Candidates

Nominations for the 2018 municipal and school board elections are open from Tuesday, May 1, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 pm.

Who can run?

To qualify as a candidate, you must be a Canadian citizen, at least 18 years of age, a resident in the County of Prince Edward, and not otherwise prohibited from running under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 or by law. If you are a non-resident of the County of Prince Edward, you can run if you or your spouse owns or rents property in The County.

To run for mayor, ward councillor, or school board trustee in the 2018 municipal llection, you must file a nomination paper. Until you file a nomination paper, you cannot raise or spend any money on your campaign. You must provide at least 25 endorsements from eligible electors in the County of Prince Edward with your nomination. School board trustees are not required to provide 25 endorsements of eligible electors.

The nomination filing fee is $200 to run for mayor and $100 for all other offices.

Nominations for mayor, ward councillor and school board trustee will be accepted at the Office of the Clerk, Shire Hall, Second Floor, 332 Picton Main Street, Picton.

For more information regarding your eligiblity to run, please visit the Ministry of Municipal Affairs website.

Nomination Paper Form and Endorsement of Nomination Form

Nomination forms and endorsement of nomination forms are now available for download.

Nomination Paper - Form 1

Endorsement of Nomination - Form 2

Hard copies of the nomination forms and endorsement of nomination forms will be available from the Office of the Clerk, Shire Hall, Second Floor, 332 Picton Main Street, Picton, as of April 23, 2018.

The forms are also available in fillable PDF format on the Ontario Central Forms Repository. Visit and type "municipal election" in the quick search box.

Appointment of a scrutineer

A scrutineer is a candidate's representative who observes the voting process at a voting location.

To appoint a scrutineer, candidates must complete the Appointment of Scrutineer Form. The appointment form must be filled out by the candidate prior to a scrutineer entering a voting location to observe the voting process. The scrutineer must show the form at every voting location.

Additional resources

Ward boundaries

Council undertook a ward boundary review in 2015. As a result of the review, the size of Council was reduced from 10 wards to 9 wards by combining the wards of Bloomfield and Hallowell into one ward now known as Bloomfield/Hallowell. All other ward boundaries remain the same as in past elections. If you are not sure of your ward, check The County’s ward map.

Candidates' guide

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has produced a candidates' guide to provide information to candidates in municipal and school board elections. Click here to read the 2018 Candidates' Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections.  

Campaign spending limits

Campaign spending limits will be available on May 1, 2018.

Candidates are not allowed to spend money to campaign or ask for or accept contributions before filing nomination forms.

Campaign signs

Council passed a by-law on March 1, 2018 to govern the use and placement of campaign signs. 

By-law to regulate the use of election campaign signs